Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Right Way, the Wrong Way, and the Right-of-Way

It was a wet, cold and rainy autumn night. He was in a neighborhood that he had never seen before. As he entered the small pontiac he noticed that the windows had fogged up since he left his car five minutes earlier. Not thinking anything of it, he stepped into the car, switch on the defrost and headed on his way. At the stop sign at the end of the block he waited, thinking the extra few seconds would help clear up his passenger side window. Thinking it was safe, he pressed the gas pedal to take him across the silent one way street to the next block. The car was half way across the road when a flash of light hit his eyes, followed by a loud thud and a sharp jerk to the left. Time didn't slow down, sound wasn't dampened, nor were there any screams or sirens, it wasn't a movie, it was real. Then I woke up; just kidding, cuz it was real! As it happened, a large Jeep SUV was rolling down that one way street when it met with the hapless pontiac. Without thinking, the young man jumped out of his car to the other vehicle. Knocking on the fogged over driver's side window he yelled "Are you okay?!" The window rolled down revealing two young women. The driver crying bitterly, the other yelling, hurling accusations and insults at the young man. "Look what you did" she cried, to which he quickly countered, "I don't care about the cars right now, are you both okay?" He hadn't even checked himself to see if he was hurt. "Yeah we're fine, thanks alot!" She sarcastically confessed.

this 3rd person story mode is hard. now I'm switching over to regular mode

To make a long story short, the police were very nice. They deemed the accident my fault because it was the Jeep's right of way, which was a fair assessment in my opinion, despite the fact that neither one of us saw one another until we hit. I got a citation that says I have to go to court on January 5. I want to get this moved to another time, cuz I gotta wedding to go to the next day. Also, since I delivered for a Chinese place, I lost a job because I lost my car in the accident.
There's basically two ways I could' ve looked at this whole situation. The first is to realize that my car is beyond reasonable repair, I lost my delivery job, I have to go to court the day before a wedding, and it was all my fault. I have the right to complain and moan and groan and whine and grumble and gripe and wail and bellyache and ... you get the point. I consider this the WRONG way of dealing with the situation.
The other way to look at it is to recognize that God is sovereign, so whatever it seems, this whole happening is a good thing. Not good like big house 5 cars in suburbia, but good because it is from God. After all, what did I lose? a car? a job? big whoop. it's just a car, and I have two other jobs. Not only that, but I didn't really like the job, not because it was stressful, but because it was taking away from the time I needed to get my work for school done. While I was in the car waiting for the police to finish the papers, I was calling some people to let them know that "I got into an accident, but I'm ok, everythings ok". I was making jokes, laughing, and just staying at ease.
I called my friend John, who I worked with at the Chinese delivery, he's the one that got me the job there. He's not Christian, but I had shared with him how much I didn't want to work there any more. When I told him what happened over the phone he plainly said "well I guess God delivered for you." I thought he was making a play on words about the delivery job and that fact that I am a Christian, so I didn't know what to say. Then he said, "you know, you were saying you didn't want the job anymore." I realized he was encouraging me. That was probably the best encouragement I have had about the situation, and it came from an atheist.
On my way home that night (I had to take the train) I was able to be a blessing to a family and a blind homeless man named "The Big Doowop, or Whop for short" That was nice.

Lots more details, but it all boils down to this: I don't count this wreck as a loss, but really as a gain. I feel like God didn't take something from me, but gave me something I did not deserve. I can't really explain it very well, but all in all, I thank God for it.

No comments: